Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Still Running

It's been a week and I'm still planning on running a half marathon in December, so that's a good sign!  LOL.  I haven't burned out YET.  I ran 15 miles over the past week, and that's pretty encouraging.  I've enlisted my sister, Jo, to run some of the nights with me, to keep me motivated and to make it more fun!  I'm surprised I was able to stick with my schedule, considering I had my wisdom teeth out last Thursday, but it's amazing what pain pills will convince you that you're capable of!  (Really only 2 of the 5 days I spent recovering from the surgery required running, and I made sure to do it when the pain was manageable, thanks to the pills).  Last night Jo and I decided to complete our assignment around a trail near her house.  It goes through some pretty wooded areas, and near water in parts, so we saw lots of thriving foliage and ducks and bugs out and about thanks to the recent rains.  As we walked along the path on our trek back home, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye on the right side of the trail.  My mind told me it was a stick, so I kept talking and walking.  All of a sudden, it started slithering across, right in front of my feet, so I screamed and started basically high-stepping up and down.  My left arm flew out and grabbed Jo, who had no idea what was going on.  We did some fancy footwork to avoid the snake, and watched it slither into the woods.  I grabbed my Iphone out of my armband and tried to snap a picture of it before it disappeared.  Unfortunately I was only able to manage this:

        
You can't tell from this picture, but it was a pretty dang big snake.  If you look really closely, you can see where the left side of it extends almost all the way to the front left corner of the frame.  The other end of it, on the right side, kept extending behind the tree that blocks it from view.  Jo and I laughed hysterically about it the rest of the way home, and then she replayed my sweet dance moves for her husband when we saw him later.  When I showed the pic to my other sister, Jill, she informed me that it was a (poisonous) copperhead snake.  Holy crap.  I'm glad I didn't know that at the time, because it probably would've been a lot less funny!!  All I can say is no more trail-running by Jo's house after the sun goes down!  

No comments: