Sunday, April 10, 2022

Kentucky Bourbon Tour 2022

Our besties Casey and Rachel invited us on a trip to Kentucky to visit a few distilleries. I couldn't care less about bourbon, or really alcohol in general, but I never want to miss the chance to take a vacation with Meezy and our friends! Our first stop was Angel's Envy where we learned their history, saw the distilling and bottling process, and ended with a tasting. I don't like the taste of bourbon, but I took my sips and quickly switched to the chocolates!



We had dinner at Jack Fry's in Louisville. The parking sucks but the food was fantastic! We stayed at The Brown Hotel. It's got an old-world vibe, but it was nice enough. The next morning our first stop was at the historic Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles. The tour was cool because the buildings are super old and they actually still roll the barrels! 





Up next was the Buffalo Trace Distillery. By this point I really didn't need to hear any more history or details about how the bourbon was made, but the tour was still fun, the gift shop was great, and the tasting was my favorite. They had Bourbon Cream and Root Beer! Now you're speaking my language. 


This experience was the favorite for our group because after the tasting, each of us was allowed to buy the (rare) Blanton's at retail price. Not that I knew this before Meezy told me, but apparently it's hard to find, especially in the DFW area, and if you do find it, the price is super marked up. 

Next up was a stop to the Bulleit Distilling Co to grab a drink and check out their gift shop.



We ended the day with a meal at OBC in Lexington. They have a ridiculously expansive Bourbon selection, but the food was underwhelming. Meezy and Casey tried Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year but decided they like Eagle Reserve and Willett better. Glad they figured that out before splurging for a bottle!

Meezy and I had a flight home the next morning and our friends started their road trip back to DFW with all the booze! It was quite the haul.



I really didn't expect to have a blast on a trip centered about Bourbon, but I wouldn't mind doing it again in the future. I've already gifted a few bottles to clients and they've been happy about it! I guess it depends on how long it takes to get through the rest of these!

No comments: