Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Holiday Recap

Thanksgiving at our house this year was great!  Meezy and my Mom worked really hard in the kitchen to get everything ready.  I tried to help however I could, but being on my feet was really making me tired.  They mostly told me to just stay out of the way!  We ended up having 20 people at our house, but there was plenty of room and the company was great.  It was nice to have all my nephews and nieces there who live out of town.  They're awesome kiddos (they're all over 20, but they're still kiddos to me!), and I love hanging out with them.  We also had some other family there that I don't get to see very often, and it was nice to catch up with them! 

On Friday, Meezy's brother and fiance (Seth & Katie) came into town to stay with us for the weekend.  We decided to try out a local Mexican restaurant for dinner.  Just getting there was an adventure, since normally my gimpy leg takes up the entire back seat!  We worked out an arrangement where I sat at an angle in the back, with my leg extending onto the center console of the front seat.  Luckily Seth didn't mind my foot chilling by his arm, so it worked out!  The food was good, especially the layered queso, and Meezy found a girlie drink there that he liked.  (Haha).  We didn't have any complaints, but I'm not so sure how long that place is going to stick around, considering there were only four other people in the restaurant besides us!  After dinner, we headed back home and sat around in the living room, just catching up.  I'm not sure how many hours we spent talking, but it was great since we don't get to spend nearly enough time with them!

On Saturday, we headed to Potbelly's for lunch.  They don't have one of those in Amarillo, and it's one of Katie's favorite sandwich places, so we knew we had to fit it in before they headed home.  Meezy and I love it too, so we were happy to go!  After lunch, we decided to take a short drive over to this area called "Urban Reserve."  Last year, my sister and hubby had driven us to this new neighborhood with "green" houses that all have really unique designs.  It hadn't taken off yet at the time we last visited, so we thought it might be interesting to drive Seth and Katie through it, to see if it had gained popularity and if more crazy houses that been built there.  To our surprise, it still looked pretty much the same as it did last year!  I guess the idea never really took off.  There were only a couple of houses that were being lived in, and the other few completed ones were for sale.  There were lots of empty lots, with just signs in front of them showing which unique design would be built there, if sold.  It was still fun to show them the weird designs that had already been constructed, and they even walked through one house that was in progress. 

On Saturday night, Meezy, Seth, Katie, and my brother-in-law headed to the AAC to watch the Mavs play the Heat.  Seth and Katie have liked LeBron James for a while now, and we knew this was pretty much the only opportunity they'd get to see him play this year.  I was originally supposed to go (in place of my bro-in-law) when we bought the tickets a couple of months ago, but my recent injury precluded me from attending.  :(  I was pretty bummed about that, but I'm just glad they had a great time!  Katie brought me home some cotton candy, which I had mentioned before that I would definitely have bought had I attended, so that helped cheer me up!

Everything had been going great that weekend, but unfortunately I had a little run-in with my doggle, Juneau, that dropped me down a couple of notches.  As I walked in the door on Saturday night, she was excited to see me and jumped on my back.  As she was coming down, her front feet hit the back of my busted knee and pushed it forward.  The brace is supposed to keep it from bending, but the force of her legs jammed it forward as far as the brace would allow it. It caused a lot of shooting pain and I immediately burst into tears.  The pain was reminiscent of the night the injury originally happened, so I was pretty distraught.  I was embarrassed for crying in front of my in-laws, but I really just couldn't control it!  I hobbled to my bedroom and tried to calm down.  Luckily the pain subsided some after a few minutes, and I didn't want to end the night on that crappy situation, so I made my way back into the living room to hang out with the group.  We ended up talking for hours again, mostly laughing at childhood stories of Meezy and Seth and then laughing at how similar Katie and I's relationship with those boys has been since then!  It was a good way to end their visit. 

After Seth and Katie left on Sunday, Meezy and I spent most of the afternoon just relaxing and watching football.  Periodically I would get shooting pains in my knee that would cause me to flinch, and I can't help but think they're the result of Juneau jumping on me.  The pain I've been experiencing in my knee over the past week has mostly just been a dull, constant pain that I've learned to deal with.  These shooting pains are new, and I'm not used to them!  I hope they go away soon.  I have my next appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday.  I'll keep you posted! 

No comments: