Monday, November 15, 2010

The Half Marathon is Getting Closer

We're getting down to crunch time, with only three training weeks left before I have to run 13.1 miles.  This past weekend my training plan called for a 10-K run, which is about 6.2 miles.  Meezy and I decided to put it off until Sunday since we were both nursing sore feet.  We started running and were surprised to find that our feet were holding up well and we weren't experiencing much pain.  We planned on pushing it further than the 6.2 miles and seeing just how far we could go.  Then we came to this one street that had a steep decline.  Boooooo.  I didn't realize running down a hill was much harder than running up one.  The amount of stress that put on my hip and ankle was too much to handle.  Instead of heading out for another lap around our neighborhood (~3.5 miles), I turned and went back to our house.  That put my total distance run at 7 miles.  Not bad, and more than my plan called for, but not as much as I wanted to run.  Meezy was a trooper and went another lap, which means he ran more than 10 miles.  What a boss!  The long runs we have left are a 9 mile run and a 10 mile run.  Of course we're supposed to be doing some additional 3 and 5 mile runs during the week, but with sports and sore muscles, we've been slacking on those assignments.  I'm just happy we've still been able to do the long ones, because that's what we're in for on December 5th!    

No comments: