Monday, December 19, 2011

The Baby Owner's Manual

Meezy and I have sporadically read What to Expect When You're Expecting, but we haven't read it from cover to cover, partly because it's pretty thick, and partly because it's just not very intriguing!  Don't get me wrong, it has good information in it, but I just see myself using it as a reference book if something comes up that I have a question about.  We ordered Let's Panic About Babies thinking it would be more entertaining and keep us reading, but the first few pages were really cheesy and not funny like I expected them to be, so I stopped reading (I know - we're hard to please!).  We had given up on finding a good baby book until our friends, Brandon and Ericka, bought us one called The Baby Owner's Manual.  We were pleasantly surprised!

 
It's just over 200 pages, so it doesn't seem like wayyyyyy too much information than you'd ever care about.  It approaches parenting very practically, and doesn't include the constant eye-rolling mushiness that I don't need to read about (I'm going to experience it myself soon enough, so I'd like my baby book to give me knowledge, not an emotional response!).  It's also funny, but doesn't try to be too funny.  It doesn't go into too much detail on any one topic, so you feel like you're getting a good overview in a lot of areas without feeling bogged down.  I read the book from cover to cover pretty quickly, because I was actually interested, and I kept coming across little tidbits that made me go, "Oh, that's a good idea." or "I didn't realize that."  So, in other words, I would recommend this book to soon-to-be or new parents if you want a break from the run-of-the-mill encyclopedia-like books! 

No comments: