Saturday, March 6, 2010

Making Things Happen

Well, it's been an eventful couple of days around our household!  We met with three different fence contractors and signed a contract with the one we liked best.  Work should begin in a couple of weeks.  Here's hoping for good weather so the job only takes a couple of days!  I'm very much looking forward to getting a new fence, and getting a bigger backyard in the process.  We have a large front and side yard area that we don't really use, so we're going to extend the fence up closer to the front of the house to claim some of that space for the backyard.  Our dogs should appreciate that! 

We also began the booking process for our big trip to Europe this summer!  I talked with our friends in Germany and we figured out which days would be best for us to visit.  We had to do some tweaking to our original itinerary, but I think the end result will work out well for everybody.  So far I've only got our outbound flight to London booked and our homebound flight from Germany booked.  There's a ton of stuff in-between that needs to get booked, but we've got a pretty good idea of what that will entail.  At least I got the most important part out of the way!  We are definitely going there, and we are definitely coming back home.  LOL.  I think picking out the hotels for the time we're not staying with friends is the worst part.  I'm always terrified I'm going to pick one that is unpleasant.  I keep thinking I'm sure about one, and then I start second-guessing after I look at others.  I'll probably put off the final decision on those until a later date! (side note - if you've got tips for what we should do/where we should stay in London, Paris, Rome, and Amsterdam - feel free to share them with me!)

Traveling has really become a priority for me in the past couple of years.  There are so many places around the country and around the world that I just really need to see.  Jer and I realize that our opportunities for travel will be decreasing in the coming years as we start a family, so we are trying to do as much as we can right now.  You don't have to be a millionaire to be a world-traveler; you just have to adjust your priorities.  There are some things we'll be giving up by taking this trip, but we think the benefits will far outweigh the costs.  My good friend Iris worked a second part-time job over the winter holidays specifically to use that money for a trip.  She wanted to travel around Europe for 3 months, and she's doing it right now.  I really admire her tenacity in setting that goal and then seeing to it that she achieved it.  (She's going to be blogging about her adventures here.)  In other words, if you want to travel...MAKE IT HAPPEN.        

No comments: