Saturday, March 20, 2010

First Quarter 2010 Selection

This quarter I've decided to primarily support Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  More specifically, I'm supporting two good friends who are walking in the 3-day in honor of their mom, Dianne, who is battling Stage 4 breast cancer.  The event involves walking 60 miles over 3 days and raising $2300.  That's right - EACH participant is required to raise $2300.  That's no small feat and considering these girls are sisters, they know a lot of the same people.  It won't be easy to raise that much money when they're soliciting from an overlapping donation pool, but this cause is too important not to try.  I am so proud of Sarah and Becca for going on this journey, and I am honored to play a tiny role in helping them reach their goal.

Last Fall I was a cheerleader for the walkers when their route passed in front of my sister's house on the 2nd day.  I also was a volunteer on the 3rd day as they approached the final pit stop.  Even though I only got a small taste of the event, I knew those walkers were doing something special.  They were pushing their bodies to the limits because this disease touches everybody and it needs to be stopped.  I can't wait until I or my mom or my own sisters get breast cancer before I decide to do something.

If you've got $5 or $10 or $20 to spare, please consider donating.  You can even set up a payment plan to spread out your donation over 4 months so your budget won't experience a noticeable hit.  I know Sarah and Becca would appreciate anything you could give.  To visit their team page, please click here.  You can do it, ladies!  

 The Brave Fighter
Sarah and Becca

No comments: