Friday, October 16, 2009

My October Selection

This post is a little late, but my selection this month is unconventional.  I originally didn't plan on doing an official selection for October or November because of a matching gift program my company has.  The minimum donation amount is a little high, so I was going to forego a couple of months of selections and just do a large one in December that my company would match.  I still plan on doing that, but a charitable opportunity presented itself this month that I still wanted to help with.

A friend's dad's house burned to the ground this month, and he is basically starting over.  He lost everything in the fire, and is staying in a hotel until his house can be rebuilt.  This is a great opportunity to do some "spring" cleaning and find things around our house that we're not using.  We decided to buy new couches this month, so we'll be donating our old ones to him.  Jer will also be going through his closet to see if there are any clothes he can pass on since those are more of an immediate need.  I told some friends in Austin about his predicament and they responded by sending me a huge box of items they wanted to donate.  (Thanks, guys!)  I'm sure he's got a long road ahead of him, but every little bit of help along the way might make it more bearable.

Tomorrow we're participating in the Dallas Komen Race for the Cure and I'm looking forward to it!  I'm glad we'll be able to show Kim a cause that's important to my family.  I hope to see you there too!

No comments: