Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My February Selection

For February I've chosen to support the SPCA of Texas. It breaks my heart when I read about the situations in which the SPCA has to intervene. Just check out their website and you'll see what I'm talking about. If I could help out by adopting some of these mistreated animals, I would. Unfortunately I already have three dogs of my own and a husband who would divorce me if I adopted any more. :) Instead, I've decided to donate some items from their Wish List. There are tons of things on there, and most of them can be found with a quick trip to Walmart. I talked to the SPCA and they provided me with two locations to drop things off. One is at 8411 Stacy Road (FM 720) in McKinney, and the other is 362 S Industrial Blvd near downtown Dallas. Both locations are open every day of the week from noon to 6pm. If you feel so inclined, please consider making a donation as well. You can donate online if you don't have time to make a trip out there, or live in another city.

Another opportunity for giving was brought to my attention today, and I'd like to share it as well. I know there are countless children (and adults) battling cancer in our world today, and I'm guessing most of their families are struggling with the financial burden associated with that. One such story can be found here. Specifically the posts from February 5th and 9th give a good recap of the situation. While you don't know this family personally, and probably never will, and you won't get a tax deduction for it....you can take a moment to spread a little love and an attitude of selflessness. Be grateful for your health and the health of those around you, and show mercy on those who aren't as fortunate. My uncle died from Leukemia before I was even born. I never got the chance to meet him, but I've heard he was a wonderful man. I hope for a cure for those who are currently suffering.

I don't write these posts to MAKE you donate. I also don't write them to make you feel bad about not donating. If it's not possible to contribute, that's okay. If you choose to donate elsewhere, that's okay too! We're all in different situations. I write these posts because my prior excuse for not giving enough was that I wasn't asked. I'm now taking a more proactive role and sharing what I find!

No comments: