Sunday, July 15, 2012

Working on my Fitness

It's been a while since I've talked about my fitness, but the arrival of my custom Nikes seemed like a good time to give an update!



Yeah, one of them says 'Dutch' and the other says 'Vanweezy.'  I'm a proud mama, so I figured it was apropos!  I love that Nike lets you design your shoes from top to bottom.  I, of course, chose orange for the base color since it's the national color of Holland and one of my favorite colors.  I kept it simple with most of the rest of the customizable areas and just went with dark gray.  They're a little pricey, and take 3-4 weeks to arrive, but I totally love them!  Meezy agreed and designed himself a pair as well.

Okay, back to the fitness.  While I was pregnant, I gained 45 pounds.  That was definitely not my plan, and I didn't go out of control with the eating, but it just happened.  I felt pretty overwhelmed when I came home from the hospital after giving birth and had only lost 10 of those pounds.  I freaking had a 10 pound baby, so how was that little amount of weight loss possible?!?  Things got much better after a couple more days, and I was down about 25 pounds.  That was all just due to the birth, since I wasn't allowed to do any kind of exercising.  I told myself I'd be gung-ho about working out once I got cleared at the 6-week mark.  Pfffft.  I was still exhausted and had very little free time at that point.  It took a couple more weeks before I really started doing anything.

So, where am I today?  It's been 4.5 months since I gave birth, and I am officially back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Those extra 45 pounds are gone, and I hope to never see them again (well, maybe 35 of them with my next pregnancy).  I'm thrilled I've shed the pounds, but in no way does that mean I'm in shape!  I still get pretty winded when running even short distances, and I'm fluffy around the edges.  My ideal weight would be about 20 pounds lighter than this, but I would settle for just tightening up my stomach and thighs.  This past week, I went to boot camp two days, ran with my sister one day, and ran on the treadmill one day.  Not bad.  My flag football season starts next week, so there's one guaranteed day of exercise.  I hope to at least get two boot camps in each week as well.  I'm sure if I changed my diet I'd have an easier time dropping a few more pounds, but I'm just not quite ready to take that plunge yet.  This mama enjoys her chips and queso!    

No comments: