Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Delightful Dinner Party

This is a little overdue, but I need to give mad props to my friend, Rachel, for hosting an amazing dinner party a couple of weeks ago.  A few of us ladies got together to watch the Royal Wedding at her house that Friday night.  She had taped all the festivities for us and prepared a jaw-dropping feast to enjoy while we watched.  Each of the attendees had a place card with our royal name on it.  Here's mine, with some personal details excluded!

Viscountess Janet ....... of Clintonshire

Check out the table in the background!  The place settings and the decorations were amazeballs.  And don't get me started on the menu!  Any dinner party that serves Cornish game hens is going to be a winner.  I can't believe how much work Rachel put into this.  I was incredibly impressed. She even made the cake that Prince William requested - a chocolate biscuit cake.

Here's the best part - a few of us wore our wedding dresses!  It was reminiscent of a Friends scene, but with better fare.  Rachel thought it would be a fun idea, because when do you ever get to wear your wedding dress again after the big day?  I was definitely game, but a little worried that it wouldn't fit after five years.  Much to my relief, it still did!  She provided us with some adorable fancy hats to complete each outfit.

Rachel, me, Becca

If you look closely, you can see that Rachel's had some random food stains on it, and Becca's is completely yellowed at the bottom from her beach ceremony.  Mine had a little yellowing too, but it wasn't very noticeable. Hilarious. You put so much effort into picking a dress that you can only wear once, and then it ends up getting ruined during the ceremony/reception!

There was a lot of hating going on around the day of the ceremony.  I saw many "who cares about the royal wedding?" or "when is this going to be over with?" bla-di-da comments.  I'm not sure why people were getting upset with the event.  I mean, seriously, there is bad stuff happening all day, every day around the world.  Why can't some of us take a little while to enjoy the celebration of something good?  Call me sappy, but I think the union of two people who love each other is an awesome thing.  And, how many of us wish we had gotten a fairytale wedding?  I don't get mad and resentful when other people get something I want; I try to be happy for them and celebrate it.  In other words, all the ladies in the room cheered the happy couple with our glasses of champagne and enjoyed a little girls' time.  It was a wonderful get-together, and I am so thankful to Rachel for inviting me!        

No comments: