Friday, February 19, 2010

Bone Marrow Recipient Update

A donor technician contacted me today on behalf of the Be the Match Marrow Registry to check on my status.  I told her everything was great and any effects from donating bone marrow were long gone!  While we were talking, I asked her if there was any update available on my recipient.  She said that it normally takes anywhere from three to six months for the recipient's doctor to send an update.  Nevertheless, she checked the patient update file for me and we were both pleasantly surprised to find there was already one available!  The file stated that the patient is responding to the marrow donation, he is doing well, and has been recently discharged from the hospital.  Can you believe it?  I could not have gotten better news today.  I'm sure he has a long road ahead of him, but just hearing he is out of the hospital is encouraging.  I so desperately wish for continued positive news about him and I hope I was able to bring some joy to his family.  

No comments: