Friday, September 23, 2011

Trying My Best

It's not easy sitting by and watching myself gain weight, even though I know it's "for a good cause."  I've been annoyed at seeing the scale go up, yet it doesn't show very much in my belly.  Apparently there are other areas where the weight has been going!  I've tried to put healthier snacks in my house since I know I need to eat every couple of hours.  The weirdest part has been how quickly my stomach will tell me I'm hungry.  There have been a couple of times where I've eaten at a restaurant with friends or family, and we've hung around for a while after eating, just talking and visiting, and by the time I get up to leave, I feel hungry again!  Sweet jeez.  That's kinda frustrating. 

Since I can't really restrict my calories for the sake of me and the baby, I've tried to also focus on staying in shape.  I ride the bike or go for a walk a few times a week, just to stay active.  This is also helpful since I technically still have some work to do to get my leg back in shape since I broke my kneecap last year.  I need to make sure it's strong enough to handle me when I reach my heaviest!  Last weekend Jer and I ran the Oktoberfest 5K with some of our friends.  It's been a really long time since I've done any running because of my knee, but I wanted to give it a shot.  (Yes, it's safe to run while you're pregnant if you were active before getting pregnant).  Things started out pretty good, and I got through the first mile just fine.  We took a break so I could walk for a few seconds and get some water, and then we started running again.  We did about another mile and then took another break.  We finished off with running the last full mile.  Overall, we ran almost 3 miles and probably only walked for about a quarter of a mile.  There were definitely some painful twinges in my knee with each step, but I knew I needed to keep going so it would get stronger.  I'm glad I was able to run for as far as I did.  It felt good to get out and do something active, and it made me hopeful about being able to pick up running again after I give birth.  My quads were definitely sore on Sunday, but that didn't last too long.


So, you'd think that running 3 miles would be more strenuous than yoga, but apparently it isn't.  Lol.  I decided to try a yoga video earlier this week, and oh. my. jeez. my body is pissed at me right now.  I guess it uses a lot of different muscles that I don't normally use, because I have soreness pretty much everywhere!  I honestly think I pulled a muscle in my side around my ribcage because I almost want to scream when I try to turn over at night.  It's so weird.  I might have to find a super beginner yoga video, or just get back on the bike instead! 

No comments: