Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dutch Meets His Oma-rillo

First, let me explain the title.  Since my family is from Holland, we call grandparents "Oma" and "Opa."  Even though my husband's family isn't from Holland, it turns out that his mom and dad asked their grand kids to use those names as well, just because they liked the way they sounded.  As you can surmise, that means that my son, Dutch, will be using the same names for both my parents and Meezy's parents.  We'll figure out if that becomes confusing for him when he gets a bit older, but for now it's fine.  Meezy's parents live in Amarillo, so my dad made the joke that my husband's mom should be called "Oma-rillo."  Cheesy, but also kinda clever!  Lol.  Anyways, last week my mother-in-law and sister-in-law came down to stay with us and meet the newest family member.  They were so sweet to help me out for a few days, and loved spending time with Dutch.  Oma definitely enjoyed her time with her grandson, as evidenced by the fact that he was asleep on her chest more times than not!



  
Oma cried when she left to go back to Amarillo, and it nearly broke my heart!  I feel so bad that we're hundreds of miles away, but hopefully we'll get the chance to visit each other often.  Meezy's mom and I already have a pretty close relationship since I work for her and we talk on a weekly basis, but now that Dutch is around, I feel like we've gotten even closer.  This first month of his life, she has texted me every few nights to see how we're both doing, and to tell me she misses him and to give him a kiss for her.  It's so sweet, and a nice reminder that my son is joining an amazing family.  We skyped with her today so she could get her Dutch fix, and I hope we get to do that a lot in the future so she won't feel so far away from us.  The last time we were texting back and forth, she told me, "I think you are an awesome mom! I love the way you love my son and Dutch."  I immediately got choked up when I read that.  It's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me, and it made me so proud that she felt that way.  Not everyone is fortunate enough to even get along with their mother-in-law, let alone be as close as we are.  I'm very lucky, and I know Dutch is too!    

No comments: