Monday, December 10, 2012

Bad News Bears

I've been battling some lower back/butt/leg pain on my right side for the past couple of months. At first I thought it was some sort of muscle strain from my increased running. But, it never seemed to lessen or go away. After a while, it started to get pretty painful. I'd get shooting pains when standing up or getting out of bed. I googled and discovered that it might be sciatica. I started doing some stretches that I hoped would relieve the pain, and started increasing my intake of anti-inflammatories and pain relievers. But, it just kept getting worse. Sometimes I'd be standing in line at the store and my whole leg would start throbbing. Other times, I'd be walking along and a pain would radiate from my butt, down my leg, almost causing me to lose my balance.  When I started experiencing the same symptoms on my left side, I figured I better get it checked out. I went to my doctor and she suspected sciatica as well. She told me I needed to stop running and stop going to boot camp for the next 6-8 weeks. That was pretty disheartening. I'm a very active person, and that was frustrating to hear. She also prescribed physical therapy. I should be starting that in the next week or so. I don't really know what this means for me, long-term, but for right now it's bad news. :(

1 comment:

Little Cash Big Dreams said...

Did she check to make sure its not a disk problem? Sciatica rarely spreads from one leg to the next (based on how the sciatic nerve runs). Let me know if you need any good PT recs.