Monday, March 5, 2012

Itzbeen

Whew!  It's been about a week since I've felt like I had a free minute to blog.  There's not much sleep happening at our house, but that doesn't mean we don't love our new addition to pieces!  Here's a few pics from the past week so you can get your cute baby fix before I move on to the real reason for this post!




As I mentioned before, sleep is sparse with a newborn.  That leads to memory loss and confusion on a daily basis!  I heard about the itzbeen timer from my friend, Kari, and I knew I had to have it before Dutch arrived. 


When you're in the hospital, nurses come in and ask you constantly how many diapers the baby has had, how long ago you started nursing and how long it lasted, and how often you're going to the bathroom yourself.  It's so hard to remember the answer to those questions because you can't even keep the days and nights straight, or have any concept of the passage of time.  This timer is a lifesaver for so many reasons!  The buttons on the side represent diaper changes, feedings, sleep, and then an extra one for whatever you choose to use it for.  The slider on the bottom helps you remember which side you last nursed on, and then it also comes with a nightlight.  Whenever you change a diaper, you hit the diaper button and it restarts the timer.  That way you can glance over at any time and see how long it's been since the last changing.  Same with the other buttons.  It's very helpful to know how long the baby fed, and also how long it's been since you last fed him.  For the extra button, I used it in the hospital to help remind myself to get up and use the bathroom (you tend to forget to take care of yourself when a new baby enters the equation!), and at home I used it to keep track of how long it had been since I last took a pain pill.  You don't want to mess up when it comes to taking medication, so it's very useful!  Once I get past the first couple of weeks, I know the timer will become less useful, but I also feel like if I only end up using it for 2 weeks, it will still have been worth it!     

No comments: