Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Push Present

My sweet hubby told me he was planning on getting me a "push present" this month, but that he was having trouble finding something to match his original intention.  He let me in on the plan so I could help search and/or decide if it's something I really wanted.  Since our kiddo will be born in February, and the birthstone is amethyst, he planned on buying me a watch that had a purple stone in it, or had a purple dial.  That way I could have a daily reminder on my wrist of our little bundle of joy.  We looked around at purple watches, and just really didn't see anything that appealed to us.  There was either way too much purple (not my style), or the shade of purple wasn't appealing.  As an alternative, we decided we would open up the search to include orange watches.  Orange is the national color of Holland, and since that's where my family is from and we're naming our son Dutch, it would still serve as an appropriate homage.  (Plus, orange is one of my favorite colors).

Unfortunately, our search didn't get any easier!  Orange is apparently way more popular to use in men's watches.  Of course I could find awesome looking ones from Tag Heuer, Tissot, and Swatch, but they were too big to work for a woman's wrist.  I have google searched from here to the end of the Internets, and visited at least 20 stores.  I don't really want the entire watch to be orange.  I'd like the dial and/or face to be orange, with a silver bracelet strap, or an orange strap with a silver/diamond face.  That is super hard to find.  I finally gave in this past weekend and purchased this Michele watch, but I brought it home and Meezy wasn't feeling it.  It's just too much orange (and really kind of a tangerine orange) and the strap looks kinda cheap.  I agreed, so I returned it.

While I was at Neiman Marcus though, they told me they didn't have any watches with an orange face or dial, but I spotted this orange Brera strap in a case and asked what faces it could go with:

   
I picked one out and they assembled it for me, and this is what it looked like:


Hmmmmm, that looks pretty good.  It's got a mother of pearl dial, surrounded by diamonds, but it's yellow gold.  I just don't know if I can spend that much on something that's yellow gold.  I've always been a much bigger fan of silver and/or white gold.  They have the same face in silver:

  
But the problem is that the little doohickeys you see above and below the face are part of the strap, and the orange strap in the store came with yellow gold clasps.  Arrggg!  The clerk said she'd call the company and find out if they make the orange strap with silver clasps and get back to me.  In the meantime, I headed home and went to Brera's website to do some research.  Turns out they do make the orange strap with silver clasps, and it's actually cheaper to buy directly from the retailer online!  What, what?  Looks like we finally found a winner for my push present, but now I'm in the "should I really spend that much money on a watch?" phase of the process.  In other words, I haven't purchased it yet.  It's hard to pull the trigger on something like this - I don't need it; it's kind of indulgent; I'm about to have a baby, etc.  I can think of all sorts of reasons why it's probably not smart to buy it right now.  But, on the other hand, there's my hubby telling me that he wants to buy me a nice watch when I have the baby, and I should just do it already.  Pbbbt.  Indecisiveness sucks.  

1 comment:

Drew said...

Go for it...especially if it's something you will look at and enjoy and associate with the magical moment! Personally, I dig orange watch bands!