Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Driving Experience

The hubby got to mark one item off his bucket list this past weekend in Vegas.  I made him an appointment with Exotics Racing.  We customized a track experience for him that included driving 5 laps in a Lamborghini Murcielago, driving 5 laps in a Nissan GT-R, riding along on 2 "discovery" laps in a Porsche Cayenne GTS, and 2 laps riding along in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.  What an awesome experience this was!  I was able to do the ride-along in the Cayenne as well.  It's supposed to be used as an introduction to the course, to get you familiar with the turns, and a chance to get some instruction from a professional driver.  Let me tell you, if you're ready to drive that course after just the discovery laps, then you're already a pro.  They go by so quickly, and there's so much to take in!!  I had the camera rolling for some of it, so watch the video below and tell me if you got it all!  Haha.



The crazy thing about this course is that there are lots of cars on the track at the same time.  Each car has a professional in the passenger seat, assisting the drivers, but that still made me nervous thinking about so many inexperienced drivers of $200K+ cars on the track together!  Here's a clip of some of the fancy schmancy cars that were being driven that day:



Here's the first car Meezy drove, a Nissan GT-R:



And then the badass Lamborghini Murcielago:


I mean, its doors flip up.  How can that not be considered awesome?  Meezy said he was a fairly crazy driver with the GT-R (Lol), but improved by the time he got to the Lambo.  I have to tell you, it was pretty neat to see him behind the wheel of those cars.  I love seeing him do something he enjoys.  Not sure it's in the cards for us to ever own one of those, mainly just because you have to be short to sit comfortably in it.  ;)

    Crazy driver Rudy

After he finished his driving laps, he went on the ride along in the Porsche 911.  The sole purpose of that experience is to see what it's like to go balls to the wall at full speed with a professional driver.  The track is 1.1 miles long, with 11 turns, and Rudy, the driver, covered 2 full laps in under 2 minutes.  With that many turns, you would think that wasn't possible!  I shot some video of them taking off from the garage:



Too fast for me!  I felt queasy just after the instructional ride along in the Cayenne, and I don't even think we were going very fast!  All in all, it was an awesome experience, and I'm so glad he did it.  I'm a firm believer in living my life to the fullest, and I want the same for my hubby.

Side note: Love this pic.

No comments: