Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Shameless Self Promotion

I've been working diligently over the past few months to fulfill a dream I've had for a while.  It started way back in college, when my love affair with real estate was born.  I worked as a Servicing Agent at a mortgage company, which means I collected mortgage payments, paid taxes and insurance, formulated amortization schedules, performed escrow audits, prepared mortgage interest statements, and dealt with mortgagor questions.  I was intrigued by this industry, and vowed to one day purchase an investment property of my own.  This was also around the time that my husband purchased his first house.  He moved into it and then rented out the other rooms to his college friends.  I quickly had to learn everything I could about rental real estate so that I could correctly prepare his tax return.  Lucky for us I was studying for my Masters Degree in Accounting, so I had a solid foundation in that area.

After my husband graduated from college, he moved back to his hometown and had to decide what to do with his house.  Instead of selling, he put it back up for lease and quickly found renters.  Little did we know at the time that that routine would happen over and over again in the years to come!  After I graduated, I moved to his hometown as well and we purchased another house.  We only stuck around there for about 8 months before making the move to the Big D, so that house became a rental as well.  All in all, we currently own 5 rental houses, and are knee deep in the world of real estate.  I've read and signed more closing documents than I can count!

Over the past couple of years, my husband and I have discussed how it would just make sense for one of us to have a real estate license since we're so involved in the industry.  I finally started pursuing that course of action a few months ago.  Since then, I have completed the educational requirements, passed the exam, and received my Texas Real Estate Salesperson license.  My sponsoring broker is my mother-in-law, who has been working in real estate for 17 years, so I've got a pretty darn good mentor!  Together, we have started Marcum Real Estate.  We're very excited about it!  Our service area includes the DFW metroplex.  While the original goal of becoming a Realtor was to make buying and selling investment properties more efficient for us, we're now hoping we can offer our expertise to others as well.  So, here's my plug:  If you are looking to buy or sell a home in the DFW area, please give me a call!  Further information about our services can be found on our website, www.marcum-realestate.com.  I look forward to hearing from you!
    

No comments: