Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleepless Nights

Ever since I broke my kneecap eight weeks ago, my sleep quality has seriously declined.  For the first couple of weeks, I was in a lot of pain and had to rely on my pain medication to get a few hours of sleep at a time.  It would usually wear off in the middle of the night, so I would wake up and take another and just suffer for a little while until it kicked in.  After the constant pain subsided, then the uncomfortableness of wearing the bulky brace kept me up at night.  I could only sleep on my back since the brace was large and kept my leg completely straight.  That meant it would take me forever to fall asleep at night, and then I would usually wake up multiple times throughout the night, wanting to change my position.  Once I got the brace off, I thought my sleep quality would improve.  Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. 

If I leave my leg in the same position for an extended period of time (as little as 30 minutes), it starts to get stiff and a dull ache begins.  This is especially the case if my leg is bent in the same position for a while.  At night, my tendency is to sleep on my side, with my legs slightly bent.  Apparently my knee does not like this.  I have found myself waking up constantly each night, needing to stretch  my leg and switching positions. I decided last night to try and keep track of how many times I woke up in the middle of the night.  It was nine. NINE TIMES.  Sweet jeez.  It can't be possible to get a "good" sleep when you wake up nine times in a 7 hour period.  No wonder I'm tired and unmotivated throughout the day.  Hopefully the progress I'm making in physical therapy translates over to better sleep sometime soon!

No comments: