Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Here's the Dealio


I was going to write a post about my experience last night at the visitation for Kaitlyn Olivia Doss, the beautiful angel shown above, who passed away last week at the ridiculously young age of 23 months.  But, after repeating it a couple times for a few friends who have asked about it, and having cried at each occasion, I'm going to refrain.  Let's just suffice it to say that it was the worst thing I've ever been to, no parent should have to go through that, and I hope I never have to attend the funeral of a child again.  All my love to Jess and Jared and the rest of the Doss and Gross family and friends. 

With that said, here's the dealio - let's put our "woe is me" attitudes to rest.  I'm tired of all the pessimism I see and the complaining I hear about silly stuff.  Are the things you're upset about really worth the big to-do?  At first I was super pissed about breaking my kneecap, and then I quickly moved into a mode where I joke about it and optimistically look at how the weeks are passing by quickly.  I could wallow in self-pity every day, or I could get over it and do something positive.  I chose the latter.  I mean, seriously, this injury is temporary and it could've been more serious.  What's the use in complaining about it?  There are much worse things being dealt with by the people around me, and it's disrespectful for me to even pretend it's as important.  Scrolling through my friends' updates on facebook is a great way to affirm that what I'm saying is right.  I'll go from someone complaining about a bad grade, to a father posting the funeral arrangements for his daughter, to a person pissed about the cost of something, to a friend talking about her mom going into hospice.  It's easy to see how trivial some things are compared to others.  I'm not saying it's not okay to express your frustration when things don't go your way.  But, at least get some perspective.  Mention it once and move on.  Either fix it or get over it.  Life's too short.        

No comments: