Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's Bittersweet

As much as I love Stewart and Colbert on Comedy Central, sometimes it's bittersweet to watch their programs.  I love humor, especially sarcastic humor, but some of the things they make fun of are actually just downright sad.  Meezy and I were watching them the other night, and they both mentioned *cough* douchebag *cough* Carl Paladino, who is running for Governor of New York.  Paladino recently said, "I don’t want (our children) brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option — it isn’t.”  He also said that his opponent, Andrew Cuomo, lacked family values and lacked interest in being a good father because he took his daughters to a gay pride parade.  Hmmmm, where do I begin?

So, he thinks children being taught equal rights is "brainwashing."  What does he call what he's teaching them?  Apparently the definition of brainwashing is "when the other guy says something that conflicts with what I say."  And what's the deal with politicians thinking they need to push their personal beliefs onto everyone?  If you don't think homosexuality is a valid lifestyle, fine.  Believe that.  Don't be a homosexual, even.  But, for goodness sakes, don't force everyone else to think that way too, through legislation.  As much as politicians like this guy like to harp on the government's overzealous involvement in our daily lives, they sure are quick to try and use that same government to tell us who we can love.

Now, on to the family values comment.  I could argue that exposing your children to people and ideas and lifestyles that differ from their own, and teaching them tolerance, is pretty damn good family values.  But, that's not my point here.  My point here concerns one of my biggest pet peeves about politicians.  They are so quick to blast their rivals for things they are also doing themselves.  Hypocrisy is just abundant in Washington, and it makes my stomach churn.  Let me give you a little background about Carl Paladino.  He has a wife and kids....and a child with a mistress.  So, what are his family values?  He apparently doesn't value the "sanctity of marriage" as one would expect a good, moral person to do.  He had an affair, fathered a child, and then lied about it to his wife for many years.  I think he needs a big glass of shut the hell up instead of talking to anyone else about their parenting abilities or family values.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great when the media calls out the people who make ridiculous statements like Paladino.  I also think it's great that they go so far as to make fun of them.  But, at the end of each show, there's still a piece of me that sighs in sadness that they have so much material.       

No comments: