Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When in Rome

Last weekend in Mexico, Jer and I tried our best to use as much Spanish as possible.  I can pretty much understand most things I read in Spanish, and a lot of things spoken to me (if done slowly), but responding in Spanish has never been my strong suit.  I'm usually not very comfortable speaking it, but I decided to give it a shot this trip.  I was pleasantly surprised that Jer had the same attitude as well.  We were so proud of ourselves for trying to speak the native language, but quickly had to laugh when we saw the response.  Almost every single time we would say something in Spanish, the person would respond to us in English.  It was hilarious.  I walked up to the bar and asked, "Que hora es?"  The bartender's response, "Two thirty."  We'd say "gracias" every time something was brought to us, and the response would be, "You're welcome."  Haha.  Can't say we didn't try!  

No comments: