Friday, January 1, 2010

Foundation Beyond Belief



I'd like to introduce you to a unique organization, called Foundation Beyond Belief.   Take a few minutes to watch this video:



I'm personally excited about the Foundation because of its mission, "To demonstrate humanism at its best by supporting efforts to improve this world and this life; to challenge humanists to embody the highest principles of humanism, including mutual care and responsibility; and to help and encourage humanist parents to raise confident children with open minds and compassionate hearts."  I'm also thrilled that it will provide me information and avenues for giving to ten different charitable organizations a quarter, while I get to choose the allocation among them.  Humanists and atheists are generous people, but we've lacked the organization of the religious community as it pertains to giving.  Many people drop a percentage of their income into the collection plate each week and have faith that it's making it to a worthy cause.  I like the idea of monthly automatic donations, similar to giving at a church, but I prefer specifically selecting where my money goes from there.  Foundation Beyond Belief will give me this opportunity.

I encourage you not to shy away from charitable opportunities just because you don't see a religious affiliation.  There is good being done in this world without religious sponsorship, just as there is good being done with it.  This Foundation will choose beneficiaries with help from its members.  "Featured beneficiaries may be founded on any worldview so long as they do not proselytize."

More information about Foundation Beyond Belief can be found here.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill       






No comments: