Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to School!

If you didn't realize school was starting, you've been living under a rock. Between the back to school commercials, newspaper ads, in-store displays, and news stories, there really isn't any possible way to ignore this occasion. Kim and I have been joking about it over the past few days whenever we see a sign - "Oh my gosh Janet, did you realize it was BACK TO SCHOOL time?!?" Haha.

I was listening to the radio this morning, and one of the stations was doing a segment on how sad parents were to send their child off to their first day of school. It definitely prompted an eye roll from me and I thought to myself, C'mon, parents. Suck it up. It's not that big of a deal. Do we really need to cry over this?

And then I dropped Kim off at school....

Kim has only lived with us for about 2 1/2 weeks, and she's not my biological daughter. She's a German foreign exchange student, spending the semester with us. Yet, I got this weird feeling in my stomach when she stepped out of the car to walk up to the high school for the first time. Will she be alright? Will she make friends easily? Will she understand all her teachers? Will she find her locker and all her classes? Will she like the American high school experience? I was immediately overwhelmed with all these nervous thoughts and sincere worry. I didn't shed a tear, but I did get a glimpse into what parents probably felt. I still think there is quite a bit of overreacting going on, but I can certainly understand where it's coming from now.

No comments: