Thursday, May 28, 2009

Holiday Schmoliday

Am I the only person who doesn't place a lot of importance on holidays? It's not so much that I don't care about the spirit behind the holidays, but does the actual day something gets celebrated really matter? Like if I talk to my mom every week of the year, but don't call her on Mother's Day, why would that matter? It seems more sincere to make an effort to celebrate your love for your mom often throughout the year, instead of trying to overcompensate on one day. Recently I heard a coworker mention how much of a bummer it's going to be if he has to work on Father's Day. But, why would that be? Could he not celebrate Father's Day on Friday? Or Saturday? Or Monday? Or any other day of the year?

Pretty much every year I have friends or coworkers ask me what I'm doing for Valentine's Day. Sorry to disappoint, but almost always my answer has been/will be, "Probably nothing." I make an effort to spend quality time with my hubby every week. I don't need to wait until Valentine's Day to go on a date with him. I don't want to have to set aside and plan a special date/time for us to hang out. We do that daily!

Because my family lives in Dallas, and Jer's lives in Amarillo, we have to juggle who we spend the major holidays with. The past couple of years we've spent Christmas Day with my family and headed up to Amarillo for the days around New Year's. His family has been awesome and adapted to this arrangement, so much so that they put off their Christmas celebrations until we get there. We do gift exchanges a couple of days after Christmas. Does this lessen the coolness of Christmas because it happens on December 29th instead of the 25th? Heck no! We put on our pajamas, wear our Santa hats, open our stockings, and exchange gifts again just like we did a few days prior in Dallas.

That's the way it should be! Who cares what date you celebrate something? I think a lot of people get hung up on having to do things on a certain date because that's what Hallmark says we should do, and that's the way it's always been done. If I feel like buying my mom a gift, I'm going to do it when I get the urge, not because it happens to be Mother's Day. If I want to have a big family dinner, I'm not going to wait until Thanksgiving just because that's the traditional thing to do. Do things because you want to do them, at whatever time you feel like doing them. Don't let manufactured dates determine when you celebrate certain events. Show your family members and friends that you care about them as often as you can throughout the year. It's makes for a much more enjoyable life, and reduces all that unnecessary stress that seems to surround holidays!

1 comment:

Young Wallace said...

Katie and I are celebrating Valentine's Day this weekend. Works better for us anyway. Time by the pool? check! Regularly priced, full menu meals? check! Fun with my wife? Double check!